Saturday, July 9, 2011

Meet Mignon OliveCoo!

Remember my post about the Fête de la Musique, and I included a photo of this:

Mama built a nest in our little olive tree!
Well, once again, google is my friend and I did a little research.  Pigeons build simple nests, or find a nice, warm, protected olive tree pot high up on a balcony in which to lay their eggs.  Apparently, pigeons mate for life, but if there's a papa here too, he looks exactly like mama and we can't tell them apart.  Mamas typically lay two eggs, a couple of days apart.  It takes 17-19 days for a pigeon egg to hatch. 

So, we can guess that these eggs were laid on or about June 19th.  However, at some point, one of the eggs when missing.  And on July 8th, I discovered there were NO eggs in the nest.  Instead, I discovered a little baby squablet!  (can you count the redundancies in that sentence?!):

Meet Mignon OliveCoo!
Some pals came up with some great names, and I couldn't decide so I incorporated all of them.  It's a perfect name for a little French pigeon who will soon be pooping all over the city!  And hopefully, the little stinker will remember our hospitality and will NOT poop on our balcony!

1 comment:

  1. A new Parisian pet! Hopefully he will take his business elsewhere, but come home to your olive tree pot to visit from time to time! The baby pigeon's name is perfect!

    ReplyDelete