Thursday, August 7, 2014

Wow, how time flies!

In some ways, it is impossible to believe that it has been almost 3 years since my last post.  And in some ways, it feels like it has been forever since my last post.

I have a confession to make.  I didn't want to post when I first got back to the states.  I missed Paris and France so much that this blog was salt in a raw wound.  And I was so happy to be home, that posting in a blog about Paris seemed...well, dumb.  I was conflicted and not in Paris anymore and life was a whirlwind of crazy when we first got home.  A daughter was getting married, holidays were fast approaching, and we were catching up with all of our friends and family whom we missed so much whilst in Paris.  But in the back of my mind, I still thought about this blog.  Or a new and improved blog. I even reserved a few blog names just in case.  I'm sure you noticed, nothing happened.

So why am I here now?

Because I went back to France for 3 weeks.  And because of a challenge I decided to participate in for the fun of it.

The challenge is the 100 Happy Days challenge.  Google it - it is simple, easy and fun.  I heard about it through a friend and decided to do it.  I decided to do it because I love photography, but I had gotten stale with it.  I made it my business for awhile and because I got so caught up in trying to get everything right for my clients, I forgot about the part I truly love, which is just making images that thrill me to pieces.  I thought the challenge would be a great way to immerse myself in photography for the fun of it again. So I signed up for the challenge and chose to share my 100 happy days photos on facebook, mostly because I don't have an instagram or twitter account and because I felt a public forum would help keep me accountable.  For 98 days, I've been posting photos on facebook.  At this point, I'm pretty sure I'll finish the challenge.  But that got me to thinking, what will I do when it's over?

Going back to France.  Yes.  That was an equally important factor.  We didn't go to Paris and I didn't care.  Instead of horribly missing our wonderful little apartment on Rue de la Convention, I remembered it fondly and then got down to the business of finding a good baguette.  We didn't even stop at Charles de Gaulle, our flight went to Frankfurt first, then Marseille.  We were a long way from Paris but we were in Provence!  I was incredibly happy to be there and thrilled that my 100 happy days photos would be from France.  And my Parisian friend Alex asked about my blog.  Again.

And so over the three weeks I spent in France, I finally came around to the idea of just posting in this blog again.  Who cares that Paris is in the title when I'm not in Paris anymore?  Who cares that I have no idea what the purpose or point of this blog will be if it isn't just about Paris?  I decided I didn't care, and if I don't care, maybe the handful of people who keep asking me about this blog don't care either.

So here we are.

What I do know is that photographs, as before, will play a big role in this blog.  What I also know is that I needed to start to begin again, and that's what this is.  The start.  I learned something about myself during the 100happydays challenge; sometimes, I'm circuitous.  My path is very much like my thought process, which, if I wrote it down, might strike a strong resemblance to Benjy in The Sound and the Fury. It may take awhile to find a groove or a purpose or a point, and perhaps there will be no groove, purpose or point.  I decided I don't care.

Alrighty.  That's enough talk for now.

What you're really wondering is, did Chris and Jeff ever get to the snazzy department stores in the 2nd arrondissement?

Yes, they did.
The amazingly beautiful Printemps Dome

Stay tuned.  This time, I promise I'll be back before 3 years have flown by.

No comments:

Post a Comment