Friday, August 19, 2011

Figs and Mirabelles

One of the best things about summer is the fruit.

One of my favorites, for as long as I can remember is figs.


My grandmother had a fig tree in her backyard and I remember waiting anxiously for fresh fig season.  Figs aren't a commonly found item at the supermarkets in SoCal.  Occasionally I'd find them, and the selection was small and they weren't always in the best shape.  More often than not, the best figs were from someone's tree.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find that figs can be found here anywhere fruit and vegetables are sold.  Not figs that have been transported many miles and are over ripe and already mostly squished an inedible, but big, fat, luscious figs, perfect for eating now.  Yum!




While I was buying fruit the other day, there was quite a crowd scooping up some lovely yellow and red fruit about the size of a large grape.  They were quite popular, so naturally, I had to try some.  I have discovered the wondrous Mirabelle!




Mirabelles are cousins to plums, and they taste very much like plums, but they're smaller and sweeter.  They are as delicious as they are beautiful.






The markets are full of beautiful, fresh summer fruit and it's tempting to buy all of it.  Sometimes, I wish summer was endless!  As soon as we've polished off the figs and mirabelles, we'll be back for more.  For now though, my taste buds are in a state of bliss as I relish the fruits of summer.

2 comments:

  1. You must try mirabelles jam. I just came back from France this week with two jars, home-made by my sister-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, your pictures of the fruit look good enough to eat! Mirabelles look great. I have seen the around Paris but have not been brave enough to try them. After your post, I am going to get some before I leave.
    I agree, summer fruits are the best!

    ReplyDelete