Thursday, August 11, 2011

Where's your banana from?

Bananas are a staple.  Much as one cannot live without sugar, flour, salt, ketchup and mustard, every pantry must also have bananas.  And a wonderful thing about bananas is that you can get them year round, and pretty much all over the world.

I don't know when I became aware of the country of origin on my banana stickers, but I remember starting a collection of stickers in the late 70s, affixing them to the wood frame of my bulletin board at work.  I was curious to discover how many different countries my bananas came from and I was surprised to discover that my coworkers thought I was kooky for collecting stickers.  I was shocked, I tell you!  Me?  Kooky?  Nonsense!  I was disappointed to discover though, that my bananas weren't as worldly as I had hoped.  I collected a boatload of stickers, enough to cover the entire frame, but they all represented three countries; Panama, Ecuador and Costa Rica.  And while I'm not entirely sure, I may have since had a banana from Honduras or Guatemala, and I'm pretty sure all of my stickers were from Chiquita, Dole or Del Monte.

I am tickled and intrigued that my Parisian bananas aren't from Central America.  They hail from countries whose stickers are unknown to me.  I don't recognize their colors or brands (except one), and the countries all have an exotic flair.  So naturally, I started collecting stickers.  I am going to presume that all ya'll will not think I'm kooky for doing so.  After six months, I have discovered 5 different countries of origin:

Guadeloupe & Martinique - actually two Caribbean islands, both of which are Overseas Regions of France
Cameroon!  African West Coast, former French/British territory
Colombia - South America
Antilles - judging by the French flag motif of the sticker, I'm going to guess this means French Antilles which includes Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Martin, Saint Barthélemy, Marie-Galante and La Désirade in the Carribean
Cote d'Ivoire - a former French territory in West Africa
Bananas have always been a part of my life, and until now, I don't think I would have classified them as comfort food, but they are.  No matter where you are, or where your banana is from, you can count on a banana to look and taste the same.  There's comfort in that.

So...where's your banana from?



4 comments:

  1. Currently from Vietmam...
    They are green and delicious
    Alexandre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je suis jaloux! Will you bring back some banana stickers for me? S'il vous plaît?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. It's CityRunner2 from CH. I rue the day you leave Paris. I've enjoyed your photos, topics, exposition. I hope you keep blogging when you move back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi City Runner! Thanks so much for following my blog. I really appreciate and enjoy your comments too. I will definitely keep blogging after I return to the States - I have so many stories and photos to share, and I'd like to get ALL of our adventures blogged.

    ReplyDelete