Monday, June 20, 2011

Endings and Beginnings

Waaaaayy back in April, Cristi challenged us to try as many desserts as possible and that's a challenge we were more than happy to accept.  We didn't forget about it - oh no - I'm just way too slow getting to it.  And although Cristi challenged us to try something beyond macarons, but we had to try a few more, just for comparison's sake.  BUT - we did include a scrumptious dessert as well.

We were strolling the street market on a Sunday and popped into a boulangerie for our baguette, and decided to buy two; one for lunch and one for dinner.  Of course, while waiting in line, we were treated to a view of all the sweets in the glass case, and we couldn't resist!  We bought two baguettes, some macarons to round out the challenge and a dessert to start the new one. 

The lunch baguette became a sandwich of mozzarella, tomatoes, sweet basil and a drizzle of olive oil:

An amazing sandwich - tres yummy!
The sandwiches were wonderful and full of good things and made us feel better about  the next phase; moving on to our very important experiments.  Believe it or not, there is a ridiculous spectrum of macarons, from the very expensive macarons from specialty shops to frozen macarons!  Who knew!

On the one hand, the frozen macarons are probably best tried first because it will make all the rest seem incredible in comparison.  On the other hand, if you try the frozen macarons first you might not ever eat another macaron.  I regret that I didn't take a photo of the packaging, but it was standard frozen food packaging; a cardboard box with a cellophane-wrapped tray inside and there were individual slots for the macarons.  For the price, that's what I would expect.  Also, we sampled a few macarons before I remembered to grab my camera.  The only thing I can say in my defense is that I was so intrigued (that's a nice way of saying put off) by frozen and very inexpensive macarons that I wasn't thinking clearly.  At any rate, I managed a snap before I threw these away:

Frozen macarons - not very tasty, texture was kinda yuk and apparently freezing them bleeds them of color
There is also the middle of the spectrum - the local boulangerie/patisserie macarons.  They don't have a famous name attached to them, and the packaging isn't keepsake material and they're also about half the price.

The packaging isn't fancy and I didn't get a fancy bag, but they LOOK good!
We also didn't get to choose the flavors.  These macarons are pre-packaged and you get a variety of flavors.  And there weren't any flavor cards to tell us what the flavors were, but by now, we're pretty good at guessing!

This one is Pisache!  Isn't it pretty?!
I also love the pink one!

Rose flavored!
coconut, cassis, chocolate, caramel, rose, pistachio, raspberry, chocolate, orange-passion fruit
The tasting platter!
Two people taste testing these macarons is also a challenge in taking small enough bites to share!  But share we did and the verdict is in; these macarons were good!  BUT - they were lacking in atmosphere.  So, if it's atmosphere you want, pay the big bucks and go to one of the big names and enjoy your macarons and keep the bag and box.  If it's good macarons you want for a reasonable price - these fill the bill.

So this is the ending part of this post.  I won't be experimenting on any more macarons.  But I'm left with a feeling of unease.  Being a scientist, I know that an experiment isn't complete until all variables are accounted for.  I was having qualms about this experiment and whether or not my protocol was appropriately planned.  I was worried that my statement of purpose was too ambiguous, that my materials list was lacking and that my control groups weren't relevant and were subject to manipulation.  Oh dear.  And...quite obviously, my data interpretation is less than stellar as it is poorly organized, entirely subjective and worse - there are no statistics or graphs!

I had to face it, the data was subjective and this was as loose as experiments get, but the data was analyzable.  And though I'm fearful that my analysis is skewed towards fancy schmancy packaging and "the experience"  (not to be confused with "the situation"),  I have nevertheless, analyzed my undocumented data:

The results are in - there is clearly a winner!

I think I have covered macarons - and ultimately I agree with Cristi - they're good, but I don't really understand the hubbub.  If you get a chance to try them, you should.  I'm glad that I became aware of the phenomenon and got to try some of the world's best.  But,  when dessert is calling my name, it's a melody of sweet tunes coming from all the beautiful French pastries.  I look at them all and am awed by how pretty they are and my mouth waters.  

Thus begins our dessert challenge.  We will try as many as we can, and as long as I can keep my wits about me in the midst of sweet treat nirvana, I will also be taking photographs of the many desserts we try.

Here's the first one:

A fabulously beautiful lemon tart adorned with a slice of lime and red currants
Okay - this was ridiculously delicious!  I love lemon, so partly it's a no-brainer, but the crust and filling were so very good.  The presentation is wonderful and I love love love the translucency of red currants.  They are a perfect contrast to the opaque lemon filling.  However, red currants are tart - more tart than the lemons.  This dessert was full of tart!  Not exactly a sweet treat, but clearly a winner!  I can't wait to get home and make my own (I'd make them here, but you know - not-so-fully-equipped-kitchen and all...)

This was a wonderful start to a new challenge.  I think I'm totally up for this one! :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great challenge, but my guess is a good exercise plan will need to accompany it. Enjoy the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee! Yes, lots of exercise to go along with all the treats! The six floors of stairs are an every-other day workout (top to bottom, rinse and repeat until I cannot move my legs!), upper body workout with homemade weights and brisk walks of 3+ miles several times/week is helping a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am extremely honored to be mentioned by name in one of your posts. I am so glad to hear that you will continue the dessert challenge by sampling other wonderful dessert delicacies that Paris has to offer. Although, I must say that your photos of macaroons make them look so appealing and delicious. If you need some assistance with your dessert challenge, I will be more than happy to provide my help, fee of charge of course!

    ReplyDelete