Monday, June 13, 2011

Musée de Louvre

The Louvre is, without a doubt, a world-class museum and it's a definite must-see on the itinerary list.  The problem with the Louvre is it's size - it is physically very big and it has over 30,000 works of art.  It is impossible to see it all in one visit, and if your time in Paris is limited, one must be choosy.

Our plan was to visit the Louvre in the morning and squeeze in other very important stuff in the afternoon.  Plans have a way of going awry, and in this case it was because Dennis and Beth found the Louvre to be awesomer than they thought they would!  Our 2-hour tour of the highlights became a 4-hour tour of the highlights.  I'm an art lover and have enjoyed many visits to the Louvre, but I worry that when I tell people they "must see The Louvre!" that I'm pushing my own agenda.  So I was deliriously happy that they loved it too; not just the art housed there, but the palace as well.  It was great fun to see them so awed by the beautiful art and architecture!

I could write volumes about the Louvre, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words so I'll just share my favorite photos of the day:

Dennis in the Tuileries - before our fabulous art tour
I took the following photo from inside the Louvre, but it fits here.  You can only get this view from inside on one of the upper floors, but here you see Richelieu Wing and the Pyramid main entrance:



Oh poo, I actually do have more to say.  I want to add that on a bright day, the Louvre is fabulously lit.  They knew what they were doing when they positioned the sculptures and added the skylights.  The light inside the Louvre is a photographer's dream and on this day I loved the light about as much as the art itself.  The light is very soft and it plays with each sculpture; I love love love the way it wraps around the smooth stone and adds even more dimension to each piece. 



Venus de Milo - from the window side
Venus from the front - I had to wait a long time to get a clear background!
I think this young woman is a tad miffed that Venus gets all the attention.  She's taking her ball and going home.
Are you kidding me?
Help!  Let me out of here!


Winged Victory of Samothrace - she takes my breath away!
Louis XV Crown
I have no idea what this means, but it's gold, it's pretty and it reminds me of Lily!
A typical gallery - lots of natural light!
The mobs of Mona Lisa - she too is quite popular!
Trying to capture Mona

School children - Field trip to the Louvre!

One of my favs - Cupid and Psyche

Detail of Cupid and Psyche

The view from under the glass pyramid - looking up...

and looking down!
 Even at 4 hours, that's a short visit to the Louvre!  There was so much more to see but visiting museums is hard work - the floors are hard and you stand for long periods.  Even though it's hard to leave, it feels good to start walking and get back out into the fresh air.

À bientôt, Musée de Louvre!

2 comments:

  1. I just love your pictures of the Louvre! I agree with you about Cupid and Psyche. They really are my favorite! I actually purchased a miniature statue of the two lovers and it is proudly displayed on my end table in my formal living room.
    Looking forward to seeing you and Ron in a few days! Paris, here I come...again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Cristi returns! Don't you just love their expressions and tenderness? It's amazing that so much emotion can be conveyed in stone.

    ReplyDelete